BioConsortia is seeking a research scientist to join its R&D team in Davis, California. This newly available position will become an essential part of the microbiology team which is focused on discovering, characterizing, and optimizing microbial strains for use in agriculture. This position will be responsible for conducting microbiology experiments with an emphasis on diazotrophs and plant-microbe interactions with cereal crops and contribute to the operation and technology expansion of the existing microbiology platform. The successful candidate will work closely with the company’s microbiology, microbial genetics, plant biology, and product development teams.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Designing and implementing experiments investigating diazotrophs and plant-microbe interactions.
• Develop and manage in-vitro and in-planta bioassays for characterization of diazotrophs and plant associated microbes.
• Contribute to the discovery of microbial leads in collaboration with other functional areas.
• Developing and preparing SOPs for experiments designed to characterize a diverse set of microbes on plants and in soil and execute these experiments in coordination with the rest of the microbiology team.
• Remaining on the cutting edge of plant-microbe-soil interaction studies.
• Keeping high quality records for documentation and writing technical reports for internal and external presentations/interpretations
• Collaborating with a cross-interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and research associates to deliver on a variety of goals including internal and external collaborations.
• Supporting a safe, organized, and respectful work environment
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and knowledge:
• PhD in Microbiology or related field or
• MSc with minimum 2 years of experience
• High level of competency in isolation, culture, and characterization of environmental microbes
• Expertise and experience on diazotrophs and plant endophytes is highly desirable
• Experience in plant-microbe interactions.
• Experience in microbial nutrient and regulatory pathways i.e. Nitrogen fixation, nitrification, mineral solubilization.
• Working knowledge of molecular biology including rt-QPCR, RNA and DNA extractions, and gas chromatography.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with internal teams and contract research organizations.
• Knowledge of the biostimulant and biocontrol sectors of Agriculture.
• Basic understanding of genetic manipulation of microbes.
• Ability to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
• An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to match it!