BioConsortia is seeking a fermentation scientist to join its R&D team in Davis, California. This will be a senior level position responsible for all aspects of fermentation development of microbial products for agricultural application and managing fermentation lab operations. The successful candidate will work closely with all levels of the Company's R&D team, as well as highly skilled consultants.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing technical leadership in the development of scalable and cost-effective fermentation processes for microbial products
- Developing and implementing a safety plan for the fermentation lab and operations
- Planning and conducting fermentation research and experiments to improve the yield of desirable biomass and bioactivities of various beneficial bacteria and fungi
- Applying the latest knowledge of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism and biosynthetic pathways to media design, process optimization and strain improvement
- Producing high quality materials through fermentation for formulation, field development, and product registration
- Developing process SOPs and specifications for scale up, tech transfer, registration and manufacturing
- Collaborating with other scientists, engineers, and technicians in led discovery, microbiology, field development and formulation.
- Creating scalable fermentation processes and specifications for product registration and manufacturing
- Managing day-to-day fermentation research operations
- Contributing expertise and insight on fermentation technology to global research and development operations and strategic planning exercises
- Preparation and delivery of reports, and technical presentations for both in-house and external parties.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills:
- PhD in Microbiology, Engineering or related fields
- Minimum of 2 years of industry or academic laboratory experience in fermentation
- Working knowledge of both liquid and solid state fermentation processes
- Strong communication and organization skills
- High level of competence in the supervision of technical staff and implementation of safety requirements and skills
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify organisms that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and both abiotic tolerance and biotic resistance, as commercial seed treatments, liquid in-furrow products, and granule products for a range of crops.