BioConsortia, Inc. (Davis, CA) uses a revolutionary microbial R&D platform to improve plant traits and increase crop yields. We are seeking to hire a Davis, CA-based laboratory technician in plant pathology/plan bioassay development to report directly to the Senior Scientist, Plant Molecular Biology. The role provides technical support for BioConsortia's science program with emphasis on Biocontrol bioassay development in different plant species. The successful candidate will work closely with all levels of the Company’s R&D team.
- Assist in planning, optimization and execution of experiments aligned to operational and research objectives
- Provide technical assistance for planting, inoculating and scoring experiments aligned to research objectives
- Provide technical assistance for the set up and implementation of lab and field trials and associated activities
- Keep detailed records of experimental procedures and results
- Prepare reagents and media
- Contribute to the development, optimization and implementation of new protocols and techniques
- Contribute to the collation of data and experimental records
- Contribute to implementation of regulatory requirements and internal policies
- Contribute to the preparation of lab manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Contribute to the induction and training of new lab staff
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of material in the form of reports and presentations
- BSc or equivalent in Plant Pathology, Plant Biology, Agriculture or related
- No practical experience required but Plant Pathology/Assay development experience in any laboratory setting preferred.
KNOWLEDGE – SKILLS - ABILITIES
- Demonstrated competence in the execution of standard culture and isolation techniques for bacteria and fungi.
- Competence in the execution of standard Plant Pathology techniques (planting, inoculations, culture maintenance, etc.)
- Demonstrated skills in aseptic technique
- Sound knowledge of, and experience with, different plant species and pathogens
- Superior attention to detail and observational skills
- Understanding of regulatory requirements relating to laboratory operation and environmental health and safety in biology research laboratories
- Excellent organizational, record keeping and verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated and able to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams to meet milestones and deadlines
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify organisms that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and both abiotic tolerance and biotic resistance, as commercial seed treatments, liquid in-furrow products, and granule products for a range of crops.