BioConsortia is seeking a Research Associate with molecular biology and microbiology experience. As a member of the Synthetic Biology and Genomics team, you will provide technical support for BioConsortia's Biological projects, with particular emphasis on sterile culturing of gram(+) and gram(-) bacteria and fungi, bacterial transformation, DNA isolation, next generation library building, PCR, and other molecular biology projects. You be will joining an established team with opportunities for professional development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Contribute to the development of new Agricultural products through engineering of soil bacteria in several areas of study, including but not limited to nitrogen-fixation, pest and disease control, and crop yield improvement
• Creatively solve problems and take ownership of new projects
• Work well independently, be a self-starter, and support the research team
The successful candidate will possess the following skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, or other Biological sciences
• A minimum of one-year practical experience in an industry or academic microbiology laboratory
• Industry or academic experience at the bench working with bacteria and/or fungi
• Demonstrated competence in the execution of standard culture and isolation techniques for bacteria and fungi, and the execution of standard molecular biology techniques.
• Experience with bacterial transformation, ideally with microbes other than E. coli
• Experience with DNA/RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, and PCR set-up and optimization are preferred but not required
• Experience with and understanding of next-generation sequencing technologies is preferred but not required
• Excellent understanding of good lab practices requirements relating to laboratory operation and environmental health and safety in microbiology laboratories
• Contribute to the development, optimization and implementation of new protocols and techniques
• Contribute to the preparation of lab manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
• Contribute to the preparation and delivery of material in the form of reports and presentations
• Excellent organizational, record keeping and verbal and written skills
• Ability to work on cross-functional teams to meet milestones and deadlines
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify organisms that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and both abiotic tolerance and biotic resistance, as commercial seed treatments, liquid in-furrow products, and granule products for a range of crops.
For more information, please visit us at www.bioconsortia.com