BioConsortia, Inc. is an innovative microbial company developing natural solutions for the agriculture industry. This exciting, high growth biotechnology company is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced scientist to lead its plant microbiome research program and contribute to the discovery and development of microbial products for improving crop productivity. You will work closely with the R&D teams in the USA and New Zealand, and provide crucial technical input into business development discussions and external collaborations.
• Leverage advances in microbiome research and computational biology to implement experiments that support BioConsortia’s research and development pipeline. The work will include the implementation of experimental strategies for:
o Modelling plant and soil microbiome dynamics within BioConsortia’s Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process and associated lead development programs.
o Understanding the functional relevance of key specific members of the plant and soil microbiome.
o Detection and tracking of applied microbes in lab and field contexts.
o Exploration, optimization and where appropriate implementation of new sequencing technologies and computational pipelines.
• Expand BioConsortia's enterprise in translation microbiome science through strong Academic and industry collaborative networks. Work with the R&D team to design, implement and analyze lab, greenhouse and field studies to achieve operational goals.
• Support the on-going development and maintenance of in-house databases on microbial occurrence and function.
• Collate and contribute information to support regulatory applications for import, export and field release of microbes.
• Preparation and delivery of material in the form of reports and presentations to internal and external parties.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• PhD in computational biology, microbiology or related fields with minimum 4-years experience (may include graduate studies) in plant and soil microbiome research and data analysis
• Expert skills in applied computational approaches, machine learning, and statistics for processing, analysis, and modelling of microbiome and metagenomic data.
• Strong programming experience in Python and R, comfortable with AWS and Linux
• Working knowledge in plant/soil microbiome experiment design, wet lab biology, sequencing technologies, and data quality assessment; understands the messiness and biases these methods bring to data analysis
• Good understanding of plant-microbe interactions, soil microbiology, and microbial ecology
• Ability to work within cross-functional teams to meet milestones and deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with internal teams and contract research organizations.
• An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to match it!
Location: Davis, CA.
Salary and benefits: This position will include a competitive salary, annual bonus opportunity along with stock options and other standard company benefits.