BioConsortia is seeking an experienced microbial strain engineer with expertise modifying gram positive and negative bacteria. Under the direction of the Director of Synthetic Biology and Genomics, you will help develop the next generation of biological products by building expression tools and strains, engineering microbial genomes, and developing new tools for manipulating microbes. You be will joining an established team with opportunities for professional development and significant intellectual contribution to project teams dedicated to modifying microbial traits to develop new Biological products for Agriculture.
The successful candidate will:
• Contribute to the development of new Agricultural products through engineering of soil bacteria in several areas of study, including but not limited to nitrogen-fixation, pest and disease control, and crop yield improvement
• Exploit their deep knowledge of strain engineering to support ongoing engineering projects and the development of new engineering projects
• Contribute to the interpretation, preparation, and delivery of material in the form of reports and presentations
• Creatively solve problems and take ownership of new projects
• Work well independently, be a self-starter, and bring new ways of working to the research team
The successful candidate will possess the following background and skills:
• MSc or Ph.D. in Microbiology, Microbial Genetics, or Biochemistry
• A minimum of two years recent industry or academic experience at the bench doing microbial strain engineering
• Demonstrated competence in the execution of standard culture and isolation techniques for bacteria and fungi, the execution of standard molecular biology techniques, and skills in RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, and PCR set-up and optimization
• Experience and understanding of first- and second-generation sequencing technologies (DNA isolation, library building, and sequencing experience is preferred but not required); third generation sequencing knowledge and experience interfacing with 3rd party sequencing vendors preferred but not required
• A practical understanding of cloning and DNA assembly methods is essential
• Understanding of biochemistry of biological pathways and experience in the field of plant-microbe interactions is preferred
• Excellent understanding of good lab practices requirements relating to laboratory operation and environmental health and safety in microbiology laboratories
• Excellent organizational, record keeping and verbal and written skills
• Self-motivated and able to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
• Ability to work on cross-functional teams to meet milestones and deadlines
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.A.
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify organisms that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and both abiotic tolerance and biotic resistance, as commercial seed treatments, liquid in-furrow products, and granule products for a range of crops.