BioConsortia is seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist to lead the company's technology development in synthetic biology for bacterial strain improvement. As function leader, the candidate will build, manage and inspire the synthetic biology team and develop, validate and implement synthetic biology approaches to enhance the performance of beneficial microbes in nitrogen fixation, crop protection, and soil fertility.
• Execute on the synthetic biology vision of the company and build a strong scientific team and strain engineering platform.
• Develop and implement synthetic biology strategies for strain improvement projects with respective project managers.
• Provide genomics insights to predict and elucidate biosynthesis gene clusters and regulation pathways.
• Develop and improve molecular tools and protocols for targeted mutagenesis, gene editing, and pathway engineering.
• Collaborate with microbiologists, experimental/filed biologists, and bioinformatics scientists to identify and solve the limitations and bottlenecks of engineered strains in performance.
• Evaluate emerging gene editing technologies and implement new capability and functionality into the platform.
• Ph.D. in genetics, biochemistry or microbiology or related scientific field.
• 5+ years of industrial or academic experience in bacterial strain engineering using synthetic biology approaches.
• Experience in modify biosynthetic gene clusters, nitrogen metabolism pathways, or PII signal transduction is highly desirable.
• Expert knowledge in gene editing, homologous recombination, genome engineering, and functional genomics.
• Strong leadership skills in team building and project management and passionate about mentorship and career development for team members.
• Strong organizational and communication skills, the ability to work cooperatively in a fast-paced environment, and the ability to foresee, identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
• Proven track-record in leading and managing research team and in building great relationships within functions and cross-functionally in collaborative environment.
• Ability in handling complex situations and demonstrate good judgement to resolve it effectively.
This is a permanent, full-time position.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.A.
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify organisms that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and both abiotic tolerance and biotic resistance, as commercial seed treatments, liquid in-furrow products, and granule products for a range of crops.