BioConsortia is seeking a research scientist to join its R&D team in Davis, California. This newly available position will become an essential part of the microbiology team which is focused on discovering, characterizing, and optimizing microbial strains for use in agriculture. This position will be responsible for conducting microbiology experiments with an emphasis on diazotrophs and plant-microbe interactions with cereal crops and contribute to the operation and technology expansion of the existing microbiology platform. The successful candidate will work closely with the company's microbiology, microbial genetics, plant biology, and product development teams.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing experiments investigating diazotrophs and plant-microbe interactions.
- Develop and manage in-vitro and in-planta bioassays for characterization of diazotrophs and plant associated microbes.
- Contribute to the discovery of microbial leads in collaboration with other functional areas.
- Developing and preparing SOPs for experiments designed to characterize a diverse set of microbes on plants and in soil and execute these experiments in coordination with the rest of the microbiology team.
- Remaining on the cutting edge of plant-microbe interaction study and imaging tools.
- Keeping high quality records for documentation and writing technical reports for internal and external presentations/interpretations.
- Collaborating with a cross-interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and research associates to deliver on a variety of goals including internal and external collaborations.
- Supporting a safe, organized, and respectful work environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and knowledge:
- Ph.D. in Microbiology or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an industrial or research lab studying plant microbiology or equivalent.
- Expertise and experience on diazotrophs and plant endophytes is highly desirable.
- High level of competency in isolation, culture, and characterization of plant associated microbes.
- Knowledge of the study of microbial colonization of plants. Experience in both plant cell culture and in situ systems is preferred.
- Experience in microbial nutrient and regulatory pathways i.e. Nitrogen fixation, nitrification, mineral solubilization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with internal teams and contract research organizations.
- Knowledge of the biostimulant and biocontrol sectors of Agriculture.
- Basic understanding of genetic manipulation of microbes.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to match it!
This is a permanent, full-time position.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.A.
Please provide a copy of your resume.
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing highly effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify microbes that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement, abiotic stress tolerance, biocontrol and metabolite expression.