BioConsortia, Inc. is an innovative microbial company developing natural solutions for the commercial agriculture industry. This exciting, high growth biotechnology company is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced microbiome scientist to lead its translational plant microbiome research program and contribute to the discovery and development of microbes for improving crop productivity. You will work closely with the R&D teams in the USA and New Zealand, and provide crucial technical input into business development discussions and external collaborations.
- Leverage advances in microbial ecology and microbiome research to implement experiments that support BioConsortia’s research and development pipeline. The work will include the implementation of experimental strategies for:
- Modelling plant and soil microbiome dynamics within BioConsortia’s Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process and associated lead development programs.
- Understanding the functional relevance of key specific members of the plant and soil microbiome.
- Detection and tracking of applied microbes in lab and field contexts.
- Exploration, optimization and where appropriate implementation of new sequencing technologies and computational pipelines.
- Expand BioConsortia's enterprise in translation microbiome science through strong Academic and industry collaborative networks. Work with the R&D team to design, implement and analyze lab, greenhouse and field studies to achieve operational goals.
- Support the on-going development and maintenance of in-house databases on microbial occurrence and function.
- Collate and contribute information to support regulatory applications for import, export and field release of microbes.
- Procurement, management and supervision of relevant equipment and resources
- Preparation and delivery of material in the form of reports and presentations to internal and external parties.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- PhD in biological sciences with formal training and expertise in microbiology and plant sciences.
- A minimum of 2 years recent industry or academic laboratory experience in microbiome research. A track record of research in the field of plant-microbe interactions is highly desirable.
- Expert skills in all aspects of microbiology and microbiome research including experimental design, sample preparation, sequencing technologies and data analysis.
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency in the implementation and use of computational pipelines for processing, analysis and modelling of microbiome and metagenomic data.
- Highly competent in microbial isolation, culture and characterization
- Broad knowledge of microbial physiology and biochemistry.
- Expert skills and knowledge of safe handling practices for microorganisms
- Experience in the field of plant-microbe interactions including proficiency in design and implementation of plant growth experiments.
- Strong computer skills related to data acquisition, organization, and data analysis.
- Ability to work within cross-functional teams to meet milestones and deadlines.
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with internal teams and contract research organizations.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to match it!
Reporting relationship: Sr. Vice President Research & Discovery.
Location: Davis, CA.
Salary and benefits: This position will include a competitive salary, annual bonus opportunity along with stock options and other standard company benefits.
BioConsortia, Inc. is developing highly effective microbial solutions that enhance plant phenotypes and increase crop yields. We are pioneering the use of directed selection in identifying teams of microbes - working like plant breeders and selecting plants based on targeted characteristics, then isolating the associated microbial community. Our proprietary Advanced Microbial Selection (AMS) process enriches the crop microbiome, allowing us to identify microbes that influence the expression of beneficial traits in plants. We are currently focused on products for fertilizer use efficiency, growth improvement and abiotic tolerance, with plans to invest in biocontrol and metabolite expression with the right partner.